Talking About Books

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Are you well read? Am I?

The other day I was listening to an interview with Christopher Hitchens, who was talking about Kingsley Amis. I don't even remember what the subject was. But it got me to thinking that I haven't read anything by Hitchens in a long time -- or by either of the Amises, Kinglsey or Martin. Then I felt the sense of dread wash over me that I am altogether behind in reading British authors. What about William Trevor? Ian McEwan? For that matter, there are a still a few books by Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen I need to read.
And it's not just British literature. Right around the time the Berlin Wall fell and all those Eastern Euripean nations were shaking off the Soviet shackles, there was a lot of great literature pouring out of that region. Vaclav Havel, Milan Kundera, Tibor Fischer, Josef Skvorecky -- I was reading them all. But I am behind in my reading of Eastern European literature.
Don't get me started on Japanese fiction. A long-time passion of mine, it seems I used to stay current on anything by Haruki Murakami, Kenzaburo Oe, Akira Yoshimura. Now, I am so behind.
If I were just reading what's worth reading in recent American fiction, I'd be behind. But I see all these new titles from authors all over the world, and I torment myself that I need to read it all. Does everybody (every reader, anyway) go through this sort of torture? How much do we need to read to be considered well-read? And is that the purpose, to accomplish some vague goal of being well-read? Or is there really no goal to reading? What do you think?

2 Comments:

At Mon Feb 19, 03:38:00 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've studied and taught literature for a long while, but don't consider myself well read yet. Part of the problem, it seems, is that the more great literature we find out about, the more we realize how little of it we've been able to read. On my "if only I had more time" list: Proust, Patrick O'Brian's novels, Musil's The Man Without Qualities, and the Chinese classic Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm currently making my way through Spenser's The Faerie Queene; it's lovely stuff, if slow going. Regarding Ian McEwan; you can skip his Saturday without remorse.

 
At Fri Mar 02, 10:51:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every December I pick one of these types of books to read. I haven't read the Faerie Queene yet -- good luck with that. I do recommend Man Without Qualities, though if you just read The Radetzky March, you get a more concise (and maybe even better) critique of the same time period.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home