Talking About Books

Monday, August 14, 2006

Boy Books and Girl Books

I just finished reading E. L. Doctorow's The March, which is the first book slated to be discussed by Webster Groves Public Library's new book discussion group. I liked it very much. I also recently spoke with a woman who told me she 'tried to read it.' It was a war novel, it was for men, she lost interest. I think that's too bad. It is a novel set during a war, during an important period of that war; but it is also a novel about many people in varying relationships and how those relationships are affected by the war. Even though there are pretty lengthy descriptions of battle sequences (which I quite enjoyed), the battles are not the meat of the book.

In libraries, we know that men and women read different things. Women like Nora Roberts and Mary Higgins Clark. Men like Tom Clancy. Authors who attract equal numbers of men and women -- John Grisham springs to mind -- are few and far between.

But should this prejudice extend to award-winning books of true literary merit? War and Peace is a war novel, but nobody can claim to be well read who hasn't read it. The novels of Jane Austen are, at a certain level, romance novels, but they are so well written that again, one has to have read them to be versed in English literature.

Having said that, I realize that for all my reading, I gravitate to male authors more than women authors. I will read Philip Roth before Joyce Carol Oates, T. C. Boyle before Margaret Atwood, even though I realize all of them hold arguably equal literary value.

Do you have a preference (or prejudice) in your own choice of books to read? Do you think it shouldn't be so, or do you just not let it bother you?

2 Comments:

At Thu Aug 17, 08:23:00 PM CDT, Blogger Beth said...

I can't say that I favor male or female writers. For me it's more about the subject matter, regardless of who wrote it. I do find that I get stuck in certain reading ruts though, the latest of which has been memoir. No matter how hard I try to stay away, I keep going back to that shelf. Even as a kid perusing the shelves of the WGPL, I loved biographies, so I guess it makes sense.

 
At Fri Aug 18, 09:22:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, biographies are fun -- and memoirs are some of the best types of biography. Maybe because real biographers feel (usually) that they have a responsibility to get facts right, but someone writing their own memoir so often feels obliged to 'set the record straight' or get even with someone, or make their life more interesting than it really is. That's why we've had a few recent examples of 'memoirs gone bad,' which made so many headlines. I find that funny, because is there anybody naive enough to believe that everything they read in a memoir is true?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home