Talking About Books

Monday, July 31, 2006

Rules for Reading

I am currently reading a novel. The next book sitting on my shelf is Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower. I always read one work of fiction followed by one work of non-fiction. In fact I've done if for so long that I dislike stepping out of that system. If I am reading a novel and another novel comes along that I have really been wanting to read, it is a wrenching decision to pass on it because I'm supposed to read a non-fiction book next. My other habit is that in the mid-winter, after Christmas and into the quiet cold days of January and February, I always tackle some massive classic work that I've been meaning to read. In the past few years I've read Don Quixote, Ulysses, and The Tale of Genji.
I've read biographies before of people like Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln and other famous self-taught men. They often have these systems set up for themselves, systems meant to keep them disciplined as much as to ensure that they are well read. In the end, I don't know if such a system detracts from the joy of reading, or if it enhances its value. I know I learn more when I make sure I read quality non-fiction between my readings of quality fiction.
Another thing I've often heard people discuss is how much of a book they will read before deciding they don't want to finish it. Some people read as few as ten pages, while some say that once they've begun a book they finish it, come hell or high water. There have been a few times I've stopped reading a book with only one chapter to go -- just too tired of the tepid prose or obvious plot twists or tedious 'observations.'
What do you think? Do you have a system for what you read? Do you have rules about what to read, or how much, or anything else?

3 Comments:

At Wed Aug 09, 08:12:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there's ever been a book that I didn't finish. Even if it's really bad, I'll go ahead and finish. I will skim a lot of it, but I still HAVE to know what happens in the end.

 
At Mon Aug 14, 09:37:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't you just read the last page and leave it at that?

 
At Sat May 29, 12:36:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its interesting that I was thinking about this same exact thing a few days ago. I don't know if it is just me but when I read a novel that I really like I feel as if I have almost exited my "real life" and am living in the novel. Because of this I am thinking of reading one fiction book and then one non-fiction about the reality of God or something about God. I am someone who is religious and I hope this allows me to keep in touch with reality while at the same time enjoying literary works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home